The Chairperson of the Commission, Dr Chemuta Divine BANDA, has been the Chairperson of the National Commission on Human Rights and Freedoms of Cameroon since 2003.
He stocks a variety of experience in the area of diplomacy, organization, administration, public management and human rights. He holds a PhD in Public Administration which he acquired from 1987 to 1992 at Nova University in the USA. He is also a holder of BA (Hons), LL.B (Public Law), and MA (International Relations) of the University of Yaoundé (1978-1979).
On the professional level, his experience is equally quite varied:
1. Chairperson of the National Commission on Human Rights and Freedoms (NCHRF) since January 2003.
2. Minister Plenipotentiary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Office of the Minister of State (1999-2003).
3. Head of the Human Resources, OPCW, The Hague, Netherlands (1993-1998).
4. Chargé d'Affaires of Cameroon in The Hague, Netherlands (1990-1993).
5. First Counsellor (DCM), Embassy of Cameroon, Washington DC (1986-1990).
6. Adviser on the administrative organization at the presidency of the Republic of Cameroon (IGERA) from 1980 to 1986.
7. Head of the US and Oceania Affairs Department at the Ministry of External Relations of Cameroon from 1979 to 1980.
8. Head of the Office for Latin America (1977-1978).
9. Tutor at the Lycée de Sangmelima in 1975.
Member of several associations and professional organizations, such as:
Dr BANDA is bilingual, and also well-versed in the area of information and communication technologies.